Thursday, 31 December 2015

Interpretation of and from Artist's Book into final pieces for project

 Interpretation of and from Artist's Book into final pieces for project

I have been looking at how to move on from the initial experience of metal armour into creating a whole new body of work from the Artist's book and all the research (to be found in my sketchbooks) rather than reverting back to the armour and moving in a different direction from there, to create more of a linear  timeline than a spider diagram of work.
As the artists book formed from an abstraction of metal armour and protective rib cage / breastplate, the next stage of this project must move on from there.

My love of materials always draws be toward wood and copper, however in an effort to please both my stretch toward true artwork and a pull toward making craft I have attempted to make artwork from an initial craft base.

I have made a construct of wood (oak) pieces held together with a copper over structure based on the ribcage composition of my artist's book.



Thin copper plate nailed to oak planks


I love the feel movement and gleam of copper, the reflection, warmth and malleability of what is essentially cold hard metal.










 My intention is to change the nature of the project by changing the nature of the materials. I have looked at ways to get past armour, ways to change and transmute materials. And of course make artwork from either the process or the end result.

I often find it difficult to move on from a piece so a big part of this project for me is to maintain momentum, whilst looking thoroughly at what presents, be prepared to step into the next phase and make new work or to abstract work from the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment